LJIdol Topic 1 - Invisible
Sep. 20th, 2026 09:26 pmLJIDOL Week 1
I cut the white fabric today.
Once upon a time, when I was a child and dinosaurs roamed the earth, our moms made all of our clothes because it was exponentially cheaper to sew clothes at home than it was to purchase clothing from a store. Mom made all of my clothes for years – I remember how proud and excited I was to wear my first pair of store-bought slacks to school in the 5th grade. Dark blue bell bottom pants, with huge yellow and white flowers printed all over the fabric. We girls only got to wear pants to school on gym day, so the odds of matching somebody that day were probably much better than random chance. In my ten-year-old brain, it was the total height of cool to wear the **very same pants** as my friend Connie and we were TWINS.
SQUEEE!!!!
My mom was not just the basic average household seamstress of her day, but I did not know it at that time. My mom had been offered a full-ride scholarship to the Chicago School of Design when she graduated from high school. Her entire wardrobe at that time -- and that of her younger sister – were all designed and sewn by my mother. Other people, not just other students, but the younger school teachers as well, were openly copying her designs. There was never any question that she was the one leading the fashion curve, no Miss Popular Queen Bee mean girl trying to take the credit for the style.
She continued that cutting-edge designing with my clothes, but I just wanted to blend in and look just like everybody else. Unlike her school, however, I had a Miss Popular Queen Bee mean girl in my class…and I was a wonderful target. I was big. I was fat. I was clumsy. I had bad eyesight. I was bullied at home. I was the wrong religion. I did not dress like the rest of the kids. And worst of all…I was smart. In 1968, a smart girl was a VeryBadThing. A smart girl who cannot keep from blurting out corrections when others are wrong was a danger to herself and others…especially when she cannot blend into the crowd and disappear.
It took me almost half a century, but I have now achieved invisibility. I am now totally invisible in car dealerships, furniture stores and at the car-parts counter. If I could only extend this power to the bank…I’d certainly be rich beyond measure!
I cut the white fabric today.
Once upon a time, when I was a child and dinosaurs roamed the earth, our moms made all of our clothes because it was exponentially cheaper to sew clothes at home than it was to purchase clothing from a store. Mom made all of my clothes for years – I remember how proud and excited I was to wear my first pair of store-bought slacks to school in the 5th grade. Dark blue bell bottom pants, with huge yellow and white flowers printed all over the fabric. We girls only got to wear pants to school on gym day, so the odds of matching somebody that day were probably much better than random chance. In my ten-year-old brain, it was the total height of cool to wear the **very same pants** as my friend Connie and we were TWINS.
SQUEEE!!!!
My mom was not just the basic average household seamstress of her day, but I did not know it at that time. My mom had been offered a full-ride scholarship to the Chicago School of Design when she graduated from high school. Her entire wardrobe at that time -- and that of her younger sister – were all designed and sewn by my mother. Other people, not just other students, but the younger school teachers as well, were openly copying her designs. There was never any question that she was the one leading the fashion curve, no Miss Popular Queen Bee mean girl trying to take the credit for the style.
She continued that cutting-edge designing with my clothes, but I just wanted to blend in and look just like everybody else. Unlike her school, however, I had a Miss Popular Queen Bee mean girl in my class…and I was a wonderful target. I was big. I was fat. I was clumsy. I had bad eyesight. I was bullied at home. I was the wrong religion. I did not dress like the rest of the kids. And worst of all…I was smart. In 1968, a smart girl was a VeryBadThing. A smart girl who cannot keep from blurting out corrections when others are wrong was a danger to herself and others…especially when she cannot blend into the crowd and disappear.
It took me almost half a century, but I have now achieved invisibility. I am now totally invisible in car dealerships, furniture stores and at the car-parts counter. If I could only extend this power to the bank…I’d certainly be rich beyond measure!
no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 11:51 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 04:23 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 05:10 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 05:42 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 05:57 pm (UTC)But there’s something bittersweet underneath the humor, too. Your mom was making you unique clothes because she had this remarkable creative talent, while you were experiencing a world where being different—in how you looked, dressed, thought, or behaved—made you a target. So wanting to disappear makes perfect sense in that context. And then the ending flips the whole idea beautifully: congratulations, you finally acquired your childhood superpower...unfortunately, it only seems to activate at car dealerships, furniture stores, and auto parts counters. 😂 If you ever figure out how to activate it at the bank, PLEASE share the instructions with the rest of us.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 06:02 pm (UTC)And cutting into white fabric at the beginning could be so many things - anything from a simple ghost costume to a wedding dress or a baptism outfit for a new baby. Or of course it could be a muslin for mock-up of a dress that will then be made in a more elaborate and expensive fabric.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 03:44 am (UTC)"And worst of all... I was smart. In 1968, a smart girl was a VeryBadThing. A smart girl who cannot keep from blurting out corrections when others are wrong was a danger to herself and others... especially when she cannot blend into the crowd and disappear."
WOW, did I feel this into my soul. I was in elementary school when I was seen as "very smart" - this was in mid to late 1980s - and while I was fortunately not bullied or teased in school, it felt like a burden and a curse back then to be the person who had to speak up. Who had to say the truth. Who didn't blend in because her mind didn't know how. I get wanting to be invisible... it's easier, or at least, more comfortable. (I ended up as an opera singer, so, invisibility never occurred, lol. But trust me, I get it.)
This is well-structured, with moments of humor and a lovely contrast. And it's very relatable. Well done. <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 04:30 am (UTC)Maybe I would have been the writer of a script that he might have starred in and both of our careers could have happened? But, that certainly wasn't going to ever happen after his treatment of me, and I can only presume he would hold the same opinion he had then, now.
Point being, how can anyone know who is important, valuable, worthwhile, meaningful, inspirational and a potential true friend, if you have decided they "can't be" any of that and are just cruel entertainment instead? It's just wrong.
We need less invisibility where it matters. And I bet you're richer than you might even know... Thanks for the perspective.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 04:39 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 06:08 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 06:37 am (UTC)I find that I'm achieving invisibility myself. Alas that it doesn't extend to the bank, as you say! I enjoyed the introspection in this — thank you for sharing it ♥
no subject
Date: 2026-09-23 12:29 pm (UTC)This brought back memories of my mother sewing my sister's wedding dress and my bridesmaid dress, for weeks on end - my sister is an artist so her dress, though white, had color and all these carefully sewn silky rosettes. (I still have the bridesmaid dress because even though it shows the stains of time and perspiration from that day, I can't let go of something my mother spent so much time making).
no subject
Date: 2026-09-24 02:55 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 04:43 pm (UTC)At 56, I haven't quite achieved invisibility, but only because I take up too much space and am too loud - yay ADHD - and only when I leave the house, which is not often.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-27 02:06 am (UTC)In my ten-year-old brain, it was the total height of cool to wear the **very same pants** as my friend Connie and we were TWINS.
SQUEEE!!!!
You do such a great job of capturing your past self's exuberance here! (grin)
Nicely done.
Dan